Sat, 12 August 2006
Welcome to the Fogview Podcast
This show talks about my San Francisco Marathon race and technology news. I also play some great podsafe music and pass along a few tech tips.
Additional Links for Today's Show
You can email me comments at MyFogView at Gmail.com. Please let me know why you listen to my podcast and what you enjoy or don't enjoy about the show.
Fri, 11 August 2006
Apple's announcements at last Monday's WWDC generated a lot of press about OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and Vista, and which one was better. I thought David Pogue's article in the NY Times times ("Getting Hung Up on the Apple-Microsoft War") did a good job summarizing the key points.
"Followers of both camps, in other words, can save themselves a lot of ulcers if they just acknowledge a few facts:
* Microsoft gets a lot of ideas from Apple; Apple also gets ideas from Microsoft. It doesn't matter; the most expensive lawyers in Silicon Valley have established that it's all perfectly legal.
* Microsoft has won the market-share war, because it dominates in corporations.
* Both companies are profitable and have very long futures ahead of them.
* If market share were measured by individual buying decisions (rather than quantity of computers), Apple's rank would be much higher.
* Even if the grand prize for the "war" is individuals, families and small businesses, the perception of a much bigger war is useful; Windows Vista and Mac OS X Leopard may in fact be on completely different playing fields, but they're both looking like the best versions ever."
I'm a Windows XP user and have never used a Mac but after all the security issues I see on Windows I see myself thinking about the Mac more and more. I'm getting more into media and I know the Mac OS handles that must better than Windows.
At lunch today I went to the bookstore and picked up a copy of "Switching to the Mac" so ... Stay tuned.
Category:Technology -- posted at: 5:26pm PDT